Thursday, September 29, 2011

Preface

I first heard of AJINTHA in the year 1994. I was initiated into theatre by Late Chetan Datar, the prolific playwright and director and it was a time I was bursting with opinions. If there was an idea, I had an opinion! Chetan Datar mentioned Ajintha to me when he expressed his wish to make it into a musical. That was ten years after the epic poem was written by Na. Dho. Mahanor in 1984. I remember that we had read the entire poem on the campus of the Ruparel College. After the reading, I remember being excited to get it onto the stage. I was impatient and prodded Chetan to write the play immediately, but Chetan, cautious as he was, was not to be hurried. I wonder if I should have prodded harder. Like many other theatre enthusiasts, it remained a dream for Chetan.

Since then and may be even before that a lot of artistes tried to interpret Ajintha into theatre. Attempts were made to turn the poem into a screenplay and show the epic love-story of Paru and Major Robert Gill on the silver screen. Works of art come with their own destiny and as destiny would have it, 17 years after Chetan first mentioned his wish to bring Paru and Robert Gill alive on stage, I am now composing music for the movie Ajintha, being produced and directed by the veteran Art Director and Production Designer, Nitin Chandrakant Desai.

The past seventeen years have changed me a lot. I have gained a few kilos and shed a lot of opinions! So when I was approached for the music of Ajintha, the film, I proceeded with caution. The one thing that I have learnt in these past seventeen years is that with every new project, one has to unlearn one's own previous success or failure. As the artist starts a new painting on a new canvas, one must start with a blank mind.

What I am about to share with you is a learner's diary. Read it with sympathy. Like a child, I am going to fall, stumble, hold on to whatever comes to hand while falling, cry, get up again, and like a child I am going to walk and then run... and get there!

Kaushal S. Inamdar
Mumbai
30th September

3 comments:

  1. I see.... so another epic work coming from you !!! We are equally excited .... and Perhaps this is the first time any music director is sharing the 'creative' pro-creation process of music with readers !!!!!! Another feat for you ;)
    All the best and keep sharing ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heyyyyyy Dada... Great to know ND sir is making his debut as Director. You too should make it soonest. I loved the lines- "I have gained a few kilos and shed a lot of opinions!" Everyone should imbibe the later part of this sentence. It is a great learning for me as well. Often I unintentionally tend to opiniate. But learnt it with the time; still learning:) All the best. I am sure at least on song of this album shall be a classic like "chinmaya sakala.."

    - प्रसाद सातकलमी

    ReplyDelete
  3. im sure tumcha music mhanje chaan ch asnar.. London chya MIFTA awards madhe tumhala bhetnyacha yog ala nahi. Congratulations for winning the award. We were expecting to listen to Marathi Abhimaan geet on that day. Ikde nehmi aikto aamhi.
    Best Wishes
    Ketakee Bapat

    ReplyDelete